About the Council
The legislative body has a nine-member Council with three council members elected at-large and six elected by district. Council members from districts are elected for four-year staggered terms in partisan elections. At-large council terms are six years. Council members are paid $28,150 per year plus benefits. Council districts are reapportioned after each census.
The legislative Council's authority includes:
- The power to consider and adopt ordinances, rules, and regulations.
- Consider and adopt an administrative code, policies, and procedures.
- Adopt rules governing the activities, meetings, and organization of the Council.
- Establish and adopt a budget, set and levy taxes, and establish fees.
- Fix the salaries of county officers and employees.
- Supervise internal audits and investigations.
- Conduct quasi-judicial hearings including serving as the Board of Equalization and final board of review regarding planning and zoning.
- Advise and consent to appointments by the executive branch.
- Override vetoes of the Executive by two-thirds vote.
- Supervise the conduct of county officers in accordance with state statute.
- Reapportion districts after each census.
- Divide the County into precincts and other districts as provided by law.
- Fill vacancies.
- Grant franchises.
- Provide for the development of County resources.
- Perform other legislative acts.